Advanced Placement Art History: Exam Details
The exam is of three hours and it has two sections-multiple choice and free response questions. The multiple choice section comprises of 40% and the free response section comprises of 60% of the final exam score.
Section I: Multiple Choice Questions
115 Questions; 1 hour
Part A: There are Five sets of questions on printed color images with work of art; 20 minutes. Topics that are included i.e.the function of works of art, patronage, period styles, chronology, and technique.
Part B: 40 minutes; Questions will include a range of topics from the list given below. Some questions may include black and white images included in your exam booklet.
Following topics will be included:
Ancient Through Medieval Art (30%)
- Greece and Rome (10%-15%)
- Early Christian, Byzantine, Early Medieval (5%-10%)
- Romanesque (3%-7%)
- Gothic (7%-10%)
Art from the Renaissance to the Present (50%)
- Fourteenth Through Sixteenth Centuries (12%-17%)
- Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries (10%-15%)
- Nineteenth Century (10%-15%)
- Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries Art (10%-15%)
Beyond European Artistic Traditions (20%)
- Africa (including ancient Egypt); the Americas; Asia; the ancient Near East, Oceania, and global Islamic traditions
- It is important to note that this is not a complete list of topics or a preferred order of topics. It is only meant to guide.
Total scores of the multiple-choice section are based on the number of correct answers. Neither Points are deducted for incorrect answers nor points are awarded for unanswered questions.
Section II: Free Response Questions
8 Questions; 2 hours
Part A − 2 long essay questions; 1 hour: A 30 minute question will comprises of significant art historical problems, including contextual, stylistic, chronological and patronage issues.
You have to select and identify specific and particular work of art as a proof in your essays, which must includes at least one work of art from beyond the scope of European tradition.
Part B − 6 short essay questions questions; 1 hour: Each 10 minute short essay question will be based on one or two color images that are printed, and/or a quotation from a primary source or document.
In the free response section, Part A will comprises of 25% and Part B will comprises of 35% of your final exam score.