About AP Macroeconomics Exam
The exam is approximately of two hours and 10 minutes and has two sections-multiple choice and free response. The multiple choice section comprises of two-thirds of the final exam grade and the free response section comprises of one-third of the final exam grade.
Section I: Multiple Choice-60 questions; 1 hour
The portion of multiple choice questions will focus on the following areas:
- Basic Economic Concepts (8%-12%)
- Measurement of Economic Performance (12%-16%)
- National Income and Price Determination (10%-15%)
- Financial Sector (15%-20%)
- Inflation, Unemployment, and Stabilization Policies (20%-30%)
- Economic Growth and Productivity (5%-10%)
- Open Economy: International Trade and Finance (10%-15%)
- Total scores of the multiple-choice section will be based on the number of correct answers. Points are neither deducted for incorrect answers nor points are awarded for the unanswered questions.
Section II: Free Response-3 questions; 1 hour including a compulsory 10 minute reading period
- 1 long essay question
- 2 short essay questions
Essays usually require the skills like linking two or more content areas, analyse on an economic situation, and evaluating power on the principles of general macroeconomics. Analytical and organizational skills are very much required for writing best essays, and whenever required clarify the analysis. Interpretation and knowledge of graphs are also very crucial, some questions may be asked on graphs.
50% of the section score will be based on the long essay and each short essay contributes ¼ to the free-response score.