ERNET: Education and Research Network
Education and Research Network also known as ERNET, India is an independent scientific society of Ministry of Communication & information technology (Govt. Of India). ERNET has made a remarkable contribution in the development of networking in the country. It practically brought the Internet to India and has built up national capabilities in the area of net-working, specifically in protocol software engineering. It has not only attained success in cultivating a huge network that provides different facilities to the intellectual component of Indian society i.e.. The research and education community, it has also become a trendsetter in the area of networking over the years.
ERNET is the greatest terrestrial and satellite network with point of presence located at the premiere educational and research institutions in major cities of the country. Focus of ERNET is not limited to just providing connectivity, but to meet the entire needs of the educational and research institutions by hosting and providing relevant information to their users. Research, Development and Training are the vital parts of ERNET activities. The activities at ERNET India are conducted on five technology focus areas, which are quoted below:
ERNET was instituted in the year 1986 by the Department of Electronics (DoE) and avail the economical support from the Government of India and United Nations Development Program (UNDP), comprising eight premier institutions as participating agencies NCST (National Centre for Software Technology) Bombay, IISc (Indian Institute of Science) Bangalore, five IITs (Indian Institutes of Technology) at Delhi, Bombay, Kanpur, Kharagpur and Madras, and the DoE, New Delhi. ERNET began as a multi protocol network with both the TCP/IP and the OSI-IP protocol stacks running over the leased-line portion of the backbone. From the year 1995 almost all traffic is carried over TCP/IP.
- National Academic and Research Network.
- Research and Development in the area of Data Communication and its use.
- Human Resource Development in the area of High-end Networking.
- Educational Content.
- Campus-wide High Speed Local Area Network.
History of ERNET
- ERNET started with Dial-up network in the year 1986 − 87.
- In the beginning, UUCP mail was the only service started by ERNET.
- First leased line of 9.6 kbit/s was installed in Jan'1 between Delhi and Mumbai.
- ERNET was alloted Class B IP address 144.16. 0.0 by InterNIC in 1990. Subsequently Class C addresses were alloted to ERNET by APNIC.
- All IITs, IISc Bangalore, DOE Delhi and NCST Mumbai were connected by 9.6 kbit/s leased line by 1992.
- In 1992, 64 kbit/s Internet gateway link was commissioned from NCST Mumbai to UUNet in Virginia near Washington DC.
- In 1998 ERNET India was registered as an independent Society.
- In 1999 − 2000 new terrestrial high speed backbone was setup.
- In 2000 POP infrastructure was developed.
- Satellite WAN was formed in the year 1993.
- Today, 1100 institutes are ERNET users under different schemes.
- ERNET backbone ERNET backbone is a very crucial link of terrestrial and satellite-based wide area networks. The satellite WAN, using VSAT technology. The VSAT network become an overlay for the terrestrial WAN by providing backup links between the backbone sites. International connectivity is attained through gateways at New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata, with a total capacity of 6.64 Mb. Daily traffic over ERNET exceeds 20 GB. ERNET architecture is dependent on the industry standard TCP/IP protocol.
- ERNET backbone is being discovered to support IPv6.