CBSE (UGC) NET Paper 1 Higher Education: Central Universities
- Indira Gandhi National Open University also known as IGNOU instituted in the year 1985 to initiate and nurture the Open University and distance education system. The major objectives are widening of access to higher education. IGNOU programmes telecast on Doordarshan Network six days a week. Its jurisdiction is through out the oountry. It can set up Study Centres outside the country. This was allowed vide amendment of the IGNOU Act in the year 1997. Distance Education Council i.e.. DEC under IGNOU has the accountability for co-ordination and maintenance of standards in open and distance education system in the country.
- University Of Hyderabad, instituted in 1974 for post-graduate teaching and research, 20 Km from the City of Hyderabad on the Old Hyderabad-Bombay road. It has a City campus-The Golden Threshold-the residence ofthe late Sarojini Naidu. The University has Eight Schools of Studies and a Centre for Distance Education offering post-graduate diploma in five disciplines.
- University or Delhi, instituted in February 1922 as a unitary and residential university. It has 14 faculties, 82 teaching departments and 78 colleges spread over national Capital Territory of Delhi. A new State University-Indraprashtha Vishwavidhlaya bas come up in Delhi as an affiliating University.
- Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Visbwavidyalaya, Wardha Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya Act (at Wardha) was passed by the Parliament in December, 1996. It came into existence with effect from 29th December 1997. It has international cbaracter. Four schools proposed under this University. For the time being the University is operating from its temporary office at Delhi.
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow instituted 8S a State University in 1994 at Lucknow, it was notified as a Central University on 10th January 1996. It aims to provide instructional and research facilities in new and frontier areas of learning. Has three schools and three centres (School of Ambedkar Studies, School for Information Science and Technology and School fo: Environmental studies and Centre for Rural Technology, Centre for Vocational Studies and Centre for Human Rights.). Pondicherry University instituted in 1985 8S a teaching-cum affiliating university. It has jurisdiction over the Union Territory of Pondicherry and Andaman and Nicobar Islands. It also has a Community College. Affiliated institutions of which 13 are located in Pondicherry, 3 in Karaikal, 2 in Mahe. 1 in Yanam and 3 in Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Visva Bharati, Santiniketan It is an unitary teaching and residential University. Established by Guru Rabindranath Tagore. Incorporated as a Central University by t. He Visva Bharati Act, 1951. Itsjurisdiction is restricted to the area known as Santiniketan in the District of Birbhum, West Bengal. It imparts education from the Primary School level to Post-Graduate and Doctorate levels. It has 12 institutes-8 at Santiniketan, 3 at Sriniketan and 1 at Kolkata. Rural Segment of the University (Sriniketan) created CAREER (Centre for Advanced Rural Education, Extenuation and Research) and CSV (Centre for Science in Villages). For inculcating facilities in the housing technology Nirman Bhawan (Building Centre) was instituted under the sponsorship of HUDCO.
- Millia lslamia, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi Functioned 8S a Deemed University since 1962. Acquired status of a Central University in December, 1988 by an Act. Of Parliament Imparts education from Nursery stage to p~st: Graduate & Doctorate levels. It has six Faculties and Eight Centres and Five Schools. AJ, Kidwai Mass Communication Research Centre (AJKMCRC) provided training at Post-graduate level in Mass Communication, producing educational material on different educational subjects for the UGC, INSAT Programme.
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh instituted in 1920 8S a fully residential Central University. It comprises four Hospitals, six Colleges (consisting Medical, Dental and Engineering Colleges), two Polytechnics and eight Schools. Offers six diploma courses exClusively for women. 18562 students (consisting school strength) were in rolls.
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi established in the year 1916 as a teaching and residential University. It consists of three Institutions-Institute of Medical Sciences, Institute of Technology and Institute of Agricultural Sciences. It has faculties with 121 academic departments and 4 inter-disciplinary schools. It maintains a constituent Mahila Mahavidyalaya and three School level institutions. 10000 Bedded Modern Ayurvedic Medicine Hospital. Jawahar La! Nehru University, New Delhi It came into existence in 1969. It is primarily concerned with Post-graduate Education and Research. It has 7 schools consisting of 24 Centres of Studies and a individual Centre for Bio-Technology.
- Maulana Azad National Urdu University The University Act was passed by the Parliament in 1997 and it came into existence on 9th January, 1998. Its Administrative Office has been set up at Hyderabad. It has Regional Officers at Delhi, Patna and Bangalore. Itsaim is to enrich and develop Urdu language and to impart vocational and technical education in Urdu medium through conventional and distance education system.
- ASSAM University, Dorgakona, Assam instituted as a teaching-cum-affiliating University on 21.1. 1994. Though the act was passed in 1989. It has Jurisdiction over the districts ofCachar, Karimganj, Karhi, anglong and Hailakandi in the State of Assam.
- Nagaland University, Kohima instituted as a teaching-cum-affiliating University on 6.9. 1994. Though the act was passed in 1989. Its Headquarters is at Lumami, Nagaland. It has its jurisdiction over the entire State of Nagaland. It has 39 colleges affiliated. It has campuses in Kohima, Lumami and Medsiphema (School of Agricultural Sciences and Rural Development-SASRD), 25 Departments and 4 Schools of Studies. Tezpur University, Nappam, Assam A non affiliating unitary Central University set up in 1994 under an Act of Parliament, Tezpur University Act, 1993. The objective is to provide employment oriented and inter-disciplinary courses, mostly at post-graduate level. It comprises of 11 Departments under 4 schools of studies and 6 centres of Studies.
- North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong instituted in 1973 at Shillong by an Act of Parliament. North Eastern Hill University Act, 1973. It has a Campus at Aizwal and a centre in Tura. Its jurisdiction is over the States of Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram. Its Headquarters at Shillong. Post-graduate Departments and four Centres of Studies under its six schools of studies and an under-graduate college. It has 58 Under graduate Colleges and 8 professional course colleges and North-Eastern Regional Institute of Science and Technology (NERJST) affiliated. It also has a Regional Sophisticated Instrumentation Centre (RSIC).