13th August, 2015: The Organ donation day [ Current Affairs ]
About Organs: Organ is a part of our body which has its own function. An Organ can be an inner or outer part of our body. The main tissue is that which is unique for the specific organ, such as the myocardium which is the main tissue of the heart.
While sporadic tissues include the nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissues.
About Organ donation day:
- 13th August is celebrated as Organ donation day.
- Organ donation is needed to lakhs of people who are dying but still waiting in a hope for an organ donor.
- However, even if there was a donor available for every patient who needed an organ but because of unawareness, infrastructure companies are required to produce the organ and transporting it at the high - priced cost of the surgery which would make transplants an unaffordable option for majority of these patients.
About government sectors for organ transplant:
- There are many developed countries where the government or insurance companies give the funds for transplant surgeries
- While in India, most patients have no help in financing the cost of the transplant.
- There are very few transplant Centres in the government sector which could do it free or even at highly funded costs.
- Even if the transplant itself is done free of cost the immunosuppressant’s that the patient has to take for the rest of her life cost anything between Rs. 8, 000 and 12, 000 per month which is not a affordable price for large section of the population.
- In a government hospital such as AIIMS for poor patients, the entire transplant and additional costs like pre - transplant evaluation of a patient, dialysis etc. are done free of cost.
- Published on: August 14, 2015