2015 Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development selected UNHCR [ Current Affairs ]
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has been selected by 2015 Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development. The award will be rewarded to UNHCR at their office.
- UNHCR is giving Immeasurable contributions in assisting millions of refugees in their improvement and resettlement.
- UNHCR is a deserving Agency for this award due to their hard work under difficult circumstances reduce the flow of refugees.
- UNHCR was selected by international jury of the prize, headed by Vice President Hamid Ansari for this edition of award.
- On the occasion of India’s Iron Lady Indira Gandhi’s 98th birth anniversary the award was declared for UNHCR.
About United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- UNHCR is a United Nations agency with main aim to protect and support refugees. And also it is a member of the United Nations Development Group.
- It was established at December 14, 1950.
- UNHCR’s headquarters are located at Geneva and Switzerland.
- When UNHCR established its main aim was to help World War II’s displaced peoples, but as time passed it become the principal agency that helped displaced persons all over the world.
- Mission of UNHCR was to secure the rights and well - being of refugees. And find long - term solution for the refugee’s condition.
- UNHCR has won two Nobel Peace Prizes in 1954 and in 1981.
About Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development
- Since 1986, the prestigious award accorded annually by Indira Gandhi Trust.
- The Award will be given to Individuals or organizations according to their creative efforts towards promoting international peace, development.
- It also donates them for creating new international economic order and ensuring that scientific discoveries are used for the larger good of humanity and enlarging the scope of freedom.
- The prize consists of 25 lakh and a citation.
- Published on: November 23, 2015