2015 Nobel Prize Winners in Chemistry [ Current Affairs ]
About the winners: Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich and Aziz Sancar have jointly won 2015 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has chosen these three for their work on systematic studies of DNA repair. Their work has provided essential information of working of living cell functions and its use for the development of new cancer treatment.
About Tomas Lindahl:
- He was born on 28th January 1938.
- He is a Swedish Scientist.
- He is from the Francis Crick Institute.
- He has successfully proved that DNA decays at a rate that has made the growth of life on Earth impossible.
About Paul Modrich:
- He was born on 13th June 1946.
- He hails from United States.
- He is an investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and a Professor at Duke University School of Medicine.
- He has successfully proved how the cell corrects errors that occur when DNA is duplicated during cell division.
About Aziz Sancar:
- He was born on 8th September 1946.
- He is a Turkish and American biochemist and molecular biologist.
- He is from the University of North Carolina.
- He has plotted Nucleotide Excision Repair which is the tool in which cells repair Ultra Violet (UV) damage to DNA.
About the Nobel Prize conferred to them:
- Nobel Prize will be given to them at the annual award ceremony held on 10th December 2015 on the death anniversary of prize founder Alfred Nobel.
- All the three winners will share the prize money of 8 million Swedish kronor equally.
- Published on: October 8, 2015