2016 Genesis Prize has been won by Violinist Itzhak Perlman [ Current Affairs ]
2016 Genesis Prize has been won by Israeli-American violinist Itzhak Perlman which is also known as Jewish Nobel prize. He has been granted with prestigious prize because of his accomplishments as a musician, teacher and advocate for the disabled and also for his commitment to his Jewish identity.
- Benjamin Netanyahu Prime Minister of Israel will present the award to Mr. Perlman at the June 23, 2016 award ceremony to be held in Jerusalem.
About Itzhak Perlman
- Perlman was born on 31 august 1945 at Tel Aviv, the British Mandate of Palestine (now Israel).
- His legs were permanently paralyzed due to Polio at the age of four.
- He had played the violin solo in John Williams’ Oscar-winning soundtrack for the film Schindler’s List in 1993.
- He also has performed with or conducted the world’s top symphony orchestras, and has been a regular guest at White House events.
- 16 Grammys award including a lifetime achievement award in 2008.
- In November 2015 he was awarded the US Presidential Medal of Freedom which is highest civilian honor of nations.
About Genesis Prize:
- Genesis Prize was launched in 2012 and also dubbed as Jewish Nobel prize in 2014.
- It was founded by the Prime Minister Israeli and Private Genesis Prize Foundation and Chairman’s office of the Jewish Agency to inspiring sense of pride among young generation.
- The Prize amount is 1 million US dollars
- It is organized annually for those who have achieved professional success, contributed to humanity and shown a strong commitment to Jewish causes and the state of Israel.
- The first recipient of the prize was Mayor Michael Bloomberg from New York.
- Published on: December 16, 2015