29 August celebrated as Natinal Sports Day worldwide [ Current Affairs ]
About the national sports day: Every year it is mandatory that 29th August is celebrated as National Sports Day worldwide. This day marks the birth anniversary of Hockey Expert Major Dhyan Chand.
- This day is celebrated by conducting open matches between different Indian hockey teams at the Dhyan Chand National stadium in New Delhi which was built in the respect and honor of Dhyan Chand.
- On this day National Sports Awards like Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and Arjuna Awards and Dronacharya Awards are given to the Sports Personalities by the President.
About Major Dhyan Chand:
- He was born on 29th August 1905.
- He hails from Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh.
- He is an Indian Hockey Player.
- He is considered as the legend and greatest field hockey player of all time.
- He started his career in hockey at the age of 16 after joining the Army.
- He is popularly known as ‘The Wizard’ because of his excellent ball control.
- He scored more than 1000 goals during his International debut.
- He is mostly recalled because of his excellent goal scoring tricks.
- He has also won 3 Olympic Gold medals in 1928 in Amsterdam in 1932 in Los Angeles and in 1936 in Berlin.
- Published on: September 22, 2015