AKP wins 2015 general election of Turkey [ Current Affairs ]
Ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) has won a critical 2015 Parliamentary Election of Turkey. It was founded by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. In the elections: AKP won 316 seats of aggregate 550 members of the Grand National Assembly of the Parliament.
- It won by securing 49.4 per cent of the votes.
- Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) won 134 by securing 25.4 per cent votes.
About the elections:
- The 2015 Turkish general election was sudden election which was held throughout country Turkey.
- To elect 550 members to the Grand National Assembly these elections were carried out.
- Election was called by President Recep Tayyip Erdoan in August 2015 after union discussions between the ruling AKP and the opposition broke down.
- It was the 25th general election in the history of the Turkish Republic.
- It elected the country’s 26th Parliament.
- The Justice and Development Party abbreviated JDP or AK in English and AK PARTI or AKP in Turkish is a social conventional political party in Turkey.
- It has developed from the tradition if Islamism.
- The party is the largest in Turkey with a majority in parliament with 316 members.
- After establishment, the AKP represented itself as a pro - Western and pro - American.
- Published on: November 3, 2015