Asia Pacific region declared to be the most disastrous prone region of the world [ Current Affairs ]
The Asia Pacific region is the most disaster prone part of the world as it had suffered around 1, 625 disasters in the period through 2014. It was exposed in recently released 2015 United Nations Asia - Pacific Disaster Report.
- Disasters in Asia Pacific region are actually 40 percent of the global disasters.
- It has claimed over half a million of lives over the decade.
- This region has to spend more for climatic disasters so as to adapt more critical conditions with ease.
- The disasters in past decade have affected around 1.4 billion people.
- It has caused over 523 billion dollars in economic damage.
- 772 million poor people from this region which tends to be worlds populous region are susceptible to disasters.
- The largest losses are linked with earthquakes and floods in this region.
- Popular of disasters are cross - border in nature including floods, cyclones, droughts and earthquake.
- UN has commended the region’s governments to invest more in adapting and preparing for disasters
- Published on: November 2, 2015