Beighton Cup of Hockey won by PNB [ Current Affairs ]
About PNB: Founded in 1894, it is an Indian financial services company based in New Delhi, India. It is the third largest bank in India in terms of asset. The bank is ranked 248th biggest bank in the world by the Bankers’ Almanac.
- Its founders included several leaders of the Swadeshi movement such as Dyal Singh Majithia and Lala Harkishan Lal, Lala Lalchand, Shri Kali Prosanna Roy, Shri E. C. Jessawala, Shri Prabhu Dayal, Bakshi Jaishi Ram, and Lala Dholan Dass.
About achievements of PNB:
- Punjab National Bank was ranked 717 under the Forbes Global 2000 in May 2013.
- Punjab National Bank was ranked 26 under the Fortune India 500 ranking of 2011.
- It was awarded the ‘Best Public Sector Bank’ by CNBC TV18 in 2012.
- The bank was recognized as the ‘most socially responsive bank’ by Business world and PwC in 2012.
- In 2011, it has also received Golden Peacock Award for “Excellence in Corporate Social Responsibility” and “National Training Award”.
About winning of Beighton Cup of Hockey by PNB:
- It has won the 2015 Brighton Cup hockey tournament.
- Punjab National Bank cantered on goalkeeper Jasvir Singh’s heroics in the shootout to pip four - time defending champions Indian Oil Corporation and win their maiden Beighton Cup hockey.
- In the final match played in Kolkata PNB defeated 4 time winners Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) by 5 - 3 goals.
- In the regular time schedule of match both team had one goal each.
About Beighton Cup of Hockey:
- one of the oldest field hockey tournaments running till date Instituted in 1895
- Named after - T. D. Beighton, Legal Remembrancer of the Government of Bengal in British India.
- organised by - Bengal Hockey Association (BHA)
- Published on: October 12, 2015