BrahMos land-attack cruise missile successfully test-fired from Car Nicobar Islands [ Current Affairs ]
BrahMos supersonic cruise missile was successfully test-fired from the Car Nicobar Islands which based on Land-to-land configuration. BrahMos Block–III version of full-range is 290-km test and it was launched from a Mobile Autonomous Launcher (MAL).
- BrahMos supersonic cruise missile designed and developed by BrahMos Aerospace, a joint venture of India and Russia. Missile’s name has been derived from the names of two rivers, India of Brahmaputra River and Russia of Moskva River.
- The missile flight test met all flight parameters, including high-level manoeuvres. It also hit the designated land- based target with the desired accuracy.
- BrahMos supersonic cruise missile is capable of carrying a warhead of 300 kilogram and has top supersonic speed of Mach 2.8. It can strike a target at maximum range of 290-km.
- BrahMos is capable of being launched from land, sea, sub-sea and air against sea and land targets and it is two-stage missile, the first one being solid and the second one ramjet liquid propellant.
- Published on: May 14, 2015