DRDO developed Lukoskin medicine to treat Leucoderma [ Current Affairs ]
About DRDO: DRDO stands for Defence Research and Development Organisation. It’s headquarter is in New Delhi, India. It was established in 1958 by the union of the Technical Development Establishment and the Directorate of Technical Development and Production with the Defence Science Organisation.
- It has 52 laboratories, which are involved in developing Defence technologies covering various fields like aeronautics, weapons, electronics, land fight engineering, life sciences, materials, missiles, and marine systems.
About development of poly - herbal medicine:
- DRDO has developed a poly - herbal medicine by the trade name of Lukoskin for the treatment of Leucoderma.
- The medicine was developed by Haldwani (Uttarakhand) based scientists of Defence Bio - Energy Research (DIBER), which is a laboratory of DRDO under the support of the Union Defence Ministry.
About medicine Lukoskin:
- Lukoskin is a balm which has seven ingredients of plants having properties such as anti - blister, skin photo sensitizer, anti - irritation, wound remedial, anti - septic and copper supplementing etc.
- Leucoderma also known as vitiligo is a cutaneous acquired condition causing a rare skin disease which results white patches on skin.
- This condition is caused due to loss of pigmentation of the skin that may occur after any number of inflammatory skin conditions such as burns, post - dermabrasion, intralesional steroid injections etc.
- It is neither an infectious nor contagious disease but largely a cosmetic problem.
- Published on: August 11, 2015