Delhi Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015 has been passed by Delhi Assembly [ Current Affairs ]
For establishing of legal anti-corruption ombudsman the Delhi Assembly has solidly passed the Delhi Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015. The Bill allows Lokpal to act against any government functionary as well as those of the Centre and in the national capital territory (NCT) of Delhi with its own investigation wing.
About Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015
- Janlokpal will have three members Chairperson and two members and they would be appointed by on reference of selection committee consisting of Chief Minister, Leader of Opposition and Speaker of Delhi Legislative Assembly.
- According to this bill the Janlokpal are authorized to investigate any claims on receiving corruption complaints from the government or from members of public Janlokpal including the Chief Minister’s office.
- It is also an investigation acts of corruption in contradiction of Union ministers and central government officials working in the NCT of Delhi
Investigation time period:
- Six months period has decided as time limit for the investigation for Lokpal.
Constitution of Special Courts:
- Special courts may be started as suggested by Janlokpal by Delhi Government in session with the Chief Justice of Delhi High Court.
- The reports introduced by the Janlokpal cannot be waited by any court.
Important of Punishment:
- Difficult imprisonment ranging from 6 months to 10 years and in rare cases it may be extended to life term.
- And for those who file false cases against public representatives would be also punished.
Elimination of Assets:
- The assets collected through corruption will be reserved.
- Janlokpal is also authorized to take away property of public servant if it has not been revealed.
Power of transfer or suspension of Public Servant:
- Janlokpal also have authority to suspend or transfer the public servant for a specified period and extension of public servant under investigation might tamper with evidence or influence witnesses or affect the investigation if they feel.
- If it is necessary than Janlokpal can issue orders to provide full protection for whistleblowers in order to protecting confidentiality and providing security.
- They are also able to take criminal action against the person involved in nuisance of whistleblower.
- Published on: December 8, 2015