Dr. Nasim Zaidi appointed as 20th Chief Election Commissioner of India [ Current Affairs ]
Indian President Pranab Mukherjee appointed Dr. Nasim Zaidi as the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) and he is the 20th CEC of India. Zaidi will assume the charge of office of the CEC with effect from 19 April 2015 and he will replace Harishankar Brahma who will join his office on 18 April 2015.
- Earlier, Zaidi is the senior-most Election Commissioner after Harishankar Brahma and he was appointed as CEC following the convention in which the senior-most EC is appointed as the CEC.
- Nasim Zaidi is 1976 batch IAS officer from the Uttar Pradesh cadre and he had served as the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).
- In July 2012, he had retired from IAS as Secretary to the Union Government in Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) was appointed under Article 324 (2) under Part XV of the Constitution of India provides for appointed by the President.
- The tenure of CEC or an EC is six years from the date on which he assumes his office or 65 years of age whichever is earlier.
- Published on: April 13, 2015