Fires BrahMos supersonic land attack missile successfully test by Indian Army [ Current Affairs ]
About BrahMos missile: The BrahMos is a short range ramjet supersonic voyage missile that can be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land. BrahMos missile is a joint project of the Russian Federation’s NPO Mashinostroeyenia and India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) who have together made BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited.
- The name Brahmos has been derived from the names of two rivers namely the Brahmaputra of India and the Moskva of Russia.
About the testing of BrahMos supersonic land attack missile:
- Indian Army has successfully test the Brahmos supersonic land attack voyage missile at Pokhran in Jaisalmer district of Rajasthan.
- Test was led by Indian Army and Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO).
- It was test fired from an Autonomous Mobile Launcher in full formation and met all the mission objectives.
About Brahmos supersonic land attack missile:
- It is a fire - and - forget Missile which has capability of destroying surface - based objects by flying a combined high - low flight by escaping enemy air defence systems.
- It has range of 300 km and a top supersonic speed of Mach 2.8.
- It is capable of carrying a conservative as well as nuclear missile of 300 kilogram.
- It is two - stage missile, in which first stage being driven by solid propellant and second stage driven by Ramjet liquid propellant.
- Published on: November 20, 2015