From INS Kolkata LRSAM successfully test-fired [ Current Affairs ]
The missile jointly developed by India and Israel “Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LRSAM) ” was successfully test-fired on 30 December 2015 on the Western Sea Board. The missile successfully intercepted an aerial target at extended ranges and was successfully test fired from INS Kolkata.
- The Indian Navy, Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Israel Aerospace Industries have jointly carried out this test-fire.
- It was the first test in India.
- Previously it was successfully test-fired from a range in Israel on 11 November 2015.
- Hyderabad in collaboration with Israel Aerospace Industries to develop the DRDL missile. It has been manufactured by M/s Bharat Dynamics Limited, India.
- This missile will also provide the Indian ships the capability to neutralize aerial threats at extended ranges.
- Navy has become part of a select group of Navies that have this niche capability which would provide a fillip to our Maritime Operations.
- Published on: January 1, 2016