Gandhi Peace Prize 2014 is advised by President to ISRO [ Current Affairs ]
About ISRO: ISRO stands for Indian Space Research Organisation. It is a well - known space agency of the Indian government. Its main focus is to bind space technology for national development for space science research and global survey.
About Gandhi Peace Prize:
- Union Government has started Gandhi Peace Prize in 1995 on 125th birth anniversary celebration of Mahatma Gandhi.
- This prize is given annually to individuals and institutions for their contributions to social, economic and political change through non - violence.
- In this prize, award of one crore rupees, a plaque and a quotation are given to the receiver of it.
- Julius Nyerere who was the first President of Tanzania was the first person got this prize in 1995.
About Gandhi Peace Prize to ISRO:
- Gandhi Peace Prize for year 2014 is advised for ISRO by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- This prize was received by ISRO Chairman A S Kiran Kumar on behalf of the Organisation at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- ISRO was chosen in March 2015 for its contribution in development of space technology and satellite - based services, making space technology a promoter of development of India.
- Published on: September 10, 2015