General Muhammadu Buhari won Presidential Election of Nigeria [ Current Affairs ]
General Muhammadu Buhari won the Presidential Election of Nigeria and he defeated Goodluck Jonathan. General Muhammadu Buhari belongs to All Progressives Congress (APC) and secured 15424921 votes while Goodluck Jonathan’s People’s Democratic Party (PDP) secured 12853162 votes.
- Earlier, General Muhammadu Buhari is a former military ruler and he defeated Goodluck Jonathan by more than 2.5 million votes.
- The Nigerian general election of 2015 was the 5th quadrennial election to be held since the end of military rule in 1999.
- General Buhari has elected as fourth time sought the presidency and he ruled Nigeria from January 1984 until August 1985, taking charge after a military coup in December 1983.
- General Buhari became the first opposition candidate to win a presidential election in Nigeria and the Nigerian general election of 2015 was the 5th quadrennial election to be held since the end of military rule in 1999.
- Article 134 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution stipulates that a presidential candidate will be duly elected after attaining both the highest number of votes cast.
- Published on: April 3, 2015