Government flags off a “climate action special” Science Express train [ Current Affairs ]
Union Government has flagged off Science Express Climate Action Special (SECAS) with the theme of Climate Change. It was flagged off by Union Science and Technology Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan from Safdarjung railway station in New Delhi.
- India’s innovative mobile science exhibition on wheels, has been refurbished into a ‘Science Express Climate Action Special’ (SECAS) this year.
- It aims to contribute towards increasing the understanding of the science of climate change.
- It will deliver a strong message about climate change.
- The exhibition is open to all but primarily targets students and teachers.
- It is joint initiative of DoS&T and Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) and Union Ministry of Railways.
- The train will travel across India covering about 18, 000 kms and halting at 64 locations spread over 20 States.
About The Science Express:
- The Science Express has been travelling across India successfully for the past six years
- It was flagged off in 2007 first.
- The exhibition train has since covered over 1, 00, 000 km across the country.
- It is mounted on a 16 - coach AC train.
- It acknowledged more than 1.09 crore visitors at its 335 halts, in 1205 exhibition days.
- Published on: October 19, 2015