Greenpeace India Society (GIS) registration suspended by Union Ministry of Home Affairs for 180 days [ Current Affairs ]
Greenpeace India Society (GIS) registration suspended by Union Ministry of Home Affairs for 180 days for acting against public and economic interests of the country. Greenpeace India Society (GIS) has seven bank accounts in IDBI Bank, ICICI Bank and Yes Bank and it has been frozen as per the order.
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs took the decision after an on-site inspection of the accounts and records of GIS in September 2014 under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA), 2010 which it is registered in India.
- GIS has utilised its funds received from foreign sources for unauthorized purposes then Union Ministry of Home Affairs against the order within thirty days to the Secretary.
- In 2001, Greenpeace India Society (GIS) was active for various issues related to the environment in India.
- The GIS organisation’s work is focused on four broad campaigns these are- stop climate change, sustainable agriculture, preserving the oceans and preventing another nuclear catastrophe.
- GIS is an Indian chapter of Greenpeace International, which is a non-profit environmental organization having presence in 40 countries across Europe, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific.
- Published on: April 12, 2015