Gujarat leads in implementation of Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) during 2014-15 [ Current Affairs ]
Union Ministry of Urban Development’s assessment of Swachh Bharat Mission implementation released placed Gujarat as the top performing state/Union Territory (UT) for 2014-15 financial year.
- Gujarat is the first sate which constructed 60 percent of the household toilets built in the entire country under the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Swachh Bharat Mission was launched on 2 October 2014 with the objective of ensuring cleanliness in all the 4041 statutory cities and towns of the country by 2 October 2019 which marks the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Under the Swachh Bharat Mission, state govt. had sanctioned 900 crore rupees an amount of about 700 crore rupees has been released to States/UTs based on proposals received during the period.
- Under the Swachh Bharat Mission, in the country 270069 household toilets were constructed during the period. Out of this, Gujarat alone accounted for 60 percent of them having built 165376.
- Madhya Pradesh has constructed 99151 household toilets with second position and is followed by Karnataka with 4697.
- A total of 1222 community toilet seats have been in the entire country. Odisha is ahead of others having constructed 740 seats during the period.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands reported construction of 200 with second position and Karnataka has built 100 communities toilet seats.
- In the country 329 of the 4041 statutory towns have reported 100 percent collection and transportation of municipal solid waste.
- Gujarat leads in this segment also having reported 100 percent collection and transportation of municipal solid waste in 120 of the 195 towns.
- Odisha stood in the second position by doing so in respect of 107 towns followed by Karnataka in 40 towns.
- Published on: April 6, 2015