INS Tarangini departed for Lokayan-2015 [ Current Affairs ]
INS Tarangini, the Sail Training Ship of Indian Navy left Kochi for Lokayan 2015. The theme for Lokayan -15 is “Taking for a Broader Reach”. The Ship was flagged off by Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba, PVSM, AVSM, the flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Southern naval Command in a departure ceremony conducted at the naval base, Kochi.
- Tarangini will be on an eight month voyage through Europe and will participate in the annual Tall Ship Races and other events organised under the aegis of Sail Training International and at present, approximately 17 thousand miles under sails in only eight month.
- On 11 November 1997, INS Tarangini is a three masted barque built in Goa Shipyard Ltd and commissioned and it manned by 6 officers, 40 sailors and 30 trainees.
- In 2015, Tall Ship Races will be conducted primarily off the coast of United Kingdom, Norway, Denmark, Germany and Netherlands.
- During this voyage, the Indian trainees would also get an opportunity to sail on foreign vessels as part of exchange of trainees. INS Tarangini forms a part of Class A Sail Ships, the largest of the sailing fleet.
- Published on: April 30, 2015