IPCC chooses Hoesung Lee as the Chairman [ Current Affairs ]
About Hoesung Lee: He was born on 31st December 1945. He hails from South Korea. He has done his BA in economics from Seoul National University and his PhD from Rutgers University. He has formerly been one of the Vice Persons of IPCC.
- He has been connected with IPCC in several ways as Co - Chair of working group III for 2nd assessment Report of 1992.
- He has also served on various boards also as a member of ADB President’s advisory board.
- He is also the institution president of Korea Energy Economic.
- He has also been the executive member of the Korean Academy of Environmental Sciences.
- Currently he is the professor in the economics of climate change, energy and sustainable development.
About Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC):
- It was established in 1988.
- It was initiated by United Nations Environment Programme and the World Meteorological Organization.
- It is the leading international body for the survey of climate changes.
- Its membership is open to all the fellow countries of UN and WMO.
- Currently 195 countries are its members.
- It has a wide group of scientists of different nationality measuring climate change science.
- It measures the most recent scientific, socio - economic and technical information through worldwide related to the understanding of climate change.
- IPCC for every 5 - 6 years comes out with periodic reports called Assessment Reports.
- IPCC’s 4th AR has conferred them with Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 when RK Pachauri was the chairman.
About Hoesung Lee chosen as chairman:
- He has been chosen as the chairperson for Inter - governmental panel for climate change (IPCC).
- He was elected on the 42nd conference of IPCC which was held at Dubrovnik in Croatia.
- He was nominated with 78 votes to 56 in an election with Jean Pascale van Ypersele from Belgium.
- He was given the place of former chairman of IPCC RK Pachauri of India, who resigned due to his involvement in sexual abuse scandal.
- Published on: October 8, 2015