ISRO won Gandhi Peace Prize 2014 [ Current Affairs ]
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) won Gandhi Peace Prize 2014 and selected by the jury under the chairmanship of the PM Narendra Modi. The Jury that selected the ISRO for the award were PM Modi, Justice H L Dattu (Chief Justice of India)Mallikarjun Kharge (leader of the single largest Opposition Party in the Lok Sabha), LK Advani (Member of Parliament) and Gopalkrishna Gandhi.
1n 2014, ISRO successfully launched Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) and at a very cost effective price of 450 crore rupees and after launching India the first Asian country to enter the Martian sphere of influence.
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) became the fourth space agency after National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) of the US, Russian Federal Space Agency (RFSA) and European Space Agency to have undertaken a mission to Mars.
1n 1995, The Gandhi Peace Prize for social, economic and political transformation through non-violence was instituted on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) received many awards. These are-
- In 1995, Julius K Nyerere, former Tanzanian President
- Nelson Mandela, former South African President,
- AT Ariyaratne, founder President of Sarvodaya Shramadana movement in Sri Lanka
- Gerhard Fischer of Rama Krishna Mission in Germany and
- Baba Amte (Murlidhar Devidas Amte), a social worker of
- In 2005, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, cleric and activist of South Africa
- Published on: March 30, 2015