India-Israel co-developed LRSAM missile successfully tested [ Current Affairs ]
Long Range Surface - to - Air Missile (LRSAM) was successfully test - fired for the first time from an Israeli Naval Platform which was co - developed by India and Israel. Test: The trial test was carrying out in the presence of Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) scientists under the Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI).
- All through the test missile has reached to the desired goal by beating the incoming target.
About Long Range Surface - to - Air Missile (LRSAM)
- LRSAM is also known as Barak 8 missile which means Lightning in Hebrew language in Israel.
- Barak 8 is an innovative, long - range missile defense and air defense system. Its main features are long range, active radar seeker missile, vertical launch and multiple synchronized engagements.
- DRDO has developed dual pulse propulsion system for the LRSAM along with other safety arm mechanisms for Solid Propulsion system.
- Missiles, Weapon Control System, MFSTAR (Radar), Vertical Launcher unit and two - way data link are covered in the LRSAM programme.
- Wide variety of air - borne threats such as anti - ship missiles, aircraft, UAVs and drones as well as supersonic cruise missiles is counter by LRSAM.
- The successful test is symbol of mutual cooperation of the two countries in developing advanced weapon systems.
- It is also measured as the major milestone which has provided the missile system which compatible with the Ship Borne Tracking Equipment’s (SBTE).
- Published on: November 30, 2015