India, Tanzania ink agreements for cooperation in various fields June 20, 2015 [ Current Affairs ]
India Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Tanzania President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete have inked various agreements including for cooperation in the field of statistics, hydrography, agricultural science and tourism in New Delhi. Apart from signing these agreements, both nations also agreed to set up a joint working group on counter-terrorism and increase gas exploration cooperation in the east African nation.
President of Tanzania is on a five-day tour to India from 17 June to 21 June 2015. He is the first head of state from Africa to visit India after the PM Narendra Modi led Government came to power in 2014.
According to the MoU (memorandum of understanding) –
- Both countries were signed for capacity building of EASTC (East Africa Statistical Training Center) Staff and other African Countries in Official Statistics.
- for capacity building in Staff of Tanzania’s EASTC and other African Countries in Agricultural Statistics, Computer Applications and Bio-informatics.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Tourism: Enhance bilateral cooperation in Tourism and hospitality sectors.
- Loan agreement to operationalise the LoC: Loan agreement on LOC for US 268.35 million dollars for extension of Lake Victoria pipeline project.
- Promote development and cooperation in the field of Hydrography through conducting surveys, capacity building, exchange of data and infrastructure strengthening.
- The agreement will pave way for preparing Detailed Project Report (DPR) for Lake Victoria pipeline project.
- Published on: June 24, 2015