Indian-American Dr. Vivek Murthy takes oath as US Surgeon General [ Current Affairs ]
Indian-American Dr. Vivek Murthy was sworn-in as the US Surgeon General and he was administered oath by US Vice President Joe Biden at a ceremony held at Fort Myer in Virginia. He is nominated by US President and confirmed by a majority vote of the Senate and has term of four-years.
- He succeeded Boris D. Lushniak who had served as Surgeon General from 2013 to December 2014.
- 19th US Surgeon General and youngest-ever, Vivek Murthy to become in- charge of the country’s public health. It is the highest ranking Indian-American in the Obama Administration.
- Vivek Murthy was born onJuly 10, 1977 in Huddersfield, United Kingdom.
- Vivek Murthy completed graduation (BA) from Harvard University, an MBA from Yale School of Management, and an MD from Yale School of Medicine.
- Earlier, Murthy is appointment as physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and a Hospitalist Attending Physician and Instructor in Medicine at Harvard Medical School.
- Vivek founded Doctors for America, a group of 15,000 physicians and medical students supporting comprehensive health reforms of US President Barack Obama in 2009.
- Published on: April 27, 2015