Indian Navy introduces INS Astradharani Warship [ Current Affairs ]
About INS Astradharani Warship: It is the Indian Navy’s first initially designed and built Torpedo Launch and Recovery Vessel. It is advanced replacement for INS Astravahini which was in use for Indian Navy till July 2015. The design built is a combined work of Naval Science and Technological Laboratory of DRDO, Shoft Shipyard and IIT Kharagpur.
- It is a 50 meter twin body warship with a maximum speed of 15 knots (28km/h).
- It is fixed with Catamaran structured design which has two parallel bodies which help in reducing its power requirement.
- It will function and operate under the Eastern force of Indian Navy.
- The ship carries 2 officers, 27 sailors and 13 scientists.
- Its main function is to carry technical trails of underwater weapons and systems like Torpedos and mines.
- The introduction of this ship has added push to India’s present actions towards indigenization under Make in India campaign
- It has also helped in meeting Country’s self - sufficiency in underwater weapon development.
About Indian Navy introducing this warship:
- This event happened to take place at Vishakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
- INS Astradharani was inducted in the Indian Navy.
- Published on: October 7, 2015