India’s first Harbour Defense System commissioned in Kochi [ Current Affairs ]
IUHDSS (Integrated Underwater Harbour Defense and Surveillance System) was commissioned in Kochi, Kerala. First of its kind system in the country is part of initiatives to strengthen and beef up coastal security in the western coastline.
- IUHDSS is designed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI).
- It involves advance sensors, coastal surveillance RADARs and sound navigation and ranging systems (SONAR).
- Its capacity is of detecting, tracking, identifying and generating warning for all types of underwater and surface threats to harbour security.
- The integrated system can detect presence of divers and under water threats with the help of this automatic system.
- Integrated Headquarters of Union Ministry of Defense made a contract with IUHDSS in 2012. So, it will operate under the control of the Naval Officer-in-Charge (Kerala).
- Systems which similar to IUHDSS are fitted in over 150 locations across the world including in South America, Caribbean, Mediterranean countries and Africa.
- Published on: August 3, 2015