Indo-French Naval exercise VARUNA commenced at Goa [ Current Affairs ]
The 14th edition of Indo-French Naval Exercise named VARUNA-15 commenced off the coast of Goa for the ten-day long joint naval exercise will end on 2 May 2015. VARUNA-15 exercise will include the entire gamut of various maritime operations from aircraft carrier operations, maritime interdiction operations strengthening the bilateral ties between India and France.
- The naval exercise was named as ‘Varuna’ in 2001.13th edition of this naval exercise was conducted in the Mediterranean Sea.
- The French Navy is represented by Aircraft Carrier Charles de Gaulle, two destroyers Chevalier Paul and Jean de Vienne, replenishment tanker Meuse and a maritime patrol aircraft Atlantique.
- The Aircraft Carrier Charles de Gaulle is carrying its complement of fighter aircraft Rafale M, Strike Aircraft Super Etendard, E2C Hawkeye AWACS and helicopters Dauphin and Alouette 3.
- The Indian Navy is represented by Aircraft Carrier INS Viraat, destroyer INS Mumbai, stealth frigate INS Tarkash, guided missile frigate INS Gomati, replenishment tanker INS Deepak, submarine INS Shankul and a few Fast Attack Craft.
- VARUNA exercise was established the strategic partnership in 1998 between both countries. Every year Indian Navy and French Navy are conducting naval exercises.
- Published on: April 27, 2015