Italian diplomat Filippo Grandi appointed as new UN refugee chief [ Current Affairs ]
About Filippo Grandi: Filippo Grandi was born in Milan in 1957. He is an Italian representative mainly active with the United Nations’ humanitarian operations. He served as Commissioner - General of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) between 2010 and 2014.
- He had earlier served as Deputy Commissioner - General of UNRWA.
- He started his career in the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in 1988 which is also known as Refugee Agency.
About his appointment as New Refugee Chief:
- Italian diplomat Filippo Grandi appointed as new UN refugee chief.
- He beat out former Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning - Schmidt and German Achim Steiner who is the director of the UN Environment Programme.
- He appointed by seeing as a permission to Italy, which has been hard - hit by the refugee crisis in Europe, but also as appreciation of Grandi’s work in several tough UN positions such as UNRWA.
- Published on: November 23, 2015