J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for fifth time [ Current Affairs ]
AIADMK General Secretary J Jayalalithaa was oath in as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for fifth time (thrice after an election victory and twice following her acquittal in court case). Along with her, 28 others were sworn in as ministers in her Cabinet.
- J Jayalalithaa took her oath of office and secrecy administered to her by Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah at the Madras University Centenary Auditorium in Chennai.
- J Jayalalithaa is the 18th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu and succeeded O Panneerselvam who resigned on 21 May 2015 following her acquittal on 11 May 2015 in the disproportionate assets case by the Karnataka High Court.
- Jayalalithaa had been the Chief Minister for four times during 1991-96, May-September 2001, 2002-2006 and 2011-2014 and she will be in the office till the expiry of the fourteenth State Legislative Assembly in May 2016.
- J Jayalalithaa was born on February 24, 1948 in Mysore. Earlier, she had worked as an actress before her entry into politics and appeared in over 125 Tamil, Telugu, and Kannada films.
- J Jayalalithaa is the general secretary of All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK).
- Published on: May 25, 2015