J & K government launched Afforestation program near Pahalgam [ Current Affairs ]
About launching of Afforestation Program: The Jammu and Kashmir government has launched a trial afforestation programme near the well - known tourist resort of Pahalgam. Its aim is to repair critically - ruined forests of the State.
- Governor N. N. Vohra and Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed launched the trial afforestation program from Frislan area of Pahalgam in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district.
- The Chief Minister give his concern to restoration by lecturing of the State Forest Policy was to make people living in close immediacy of forests equal partners in eco - restoration efforts of the government.
- The Forest Department must consider a plan with active contribution of Tourism Development authorities and Shri Amarnath Shrine Board for Sonamarg - Baltal - Pahalgam stretch to begin with it.
- More steps should be taken for wayside plantations on the nearby attractive Daksum - Warwan and Aharbal - Kongwattan stretches.
- Approving the Chief Minister’s creativity to restore the ruined forests, the Governor preferred placing a controlling mechanism in place that involves mountain community in the protection and plantation enterprises.
- Shri Amarnath Shrine Board will take the responsibility of planting around 10 lakh seedlings and fruit plants around Baltal, which would fix the soil together in an area where downhill causes widespread damage in rainy season.
- Published on: October 20, 2015