Japan’s Cookpad acquires India’s Cucumbertown [ Current Affairs ]
Tokyo based online recipe network Cookpad has acquired Cucumbertown which is a Bengaluru-based social network for cooks and chefs for an undisclosed amount. By acquiring Cucumbertown, Cookpad has entered into Indian market that represents a market and culture that is rich in culinary heritage.
- With this acquisition Cucumbertown will remain independent subsidiary under Cookpad. It will also enable acquired company to scale to international markets and monetize.
- Earlier, Cookpad had acquired numerous startups from various countries including English language app Allthecooks, Dapur Masak in Malay, Mis Recetas site in Spanish and NetSila from Lebanon in 2014.
- Cucumbertown was first start up company in the Bay Area and Bengaluru city in Karnataka. It was funded by Cherian Thomas and Arun Prabhakar in October 2012. Since then it had grown from a simple recipe-sharing network to a food blogging platform.
- At present, Cucumber town reach to more than 160 countries and has millions of users. The company had raised capital from Silicon Valley, Helion and Ludlow ventures.
- Published on: June 24, 2015