Jorge Sampaio, Helena Ndume received award of inaugural Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize [ Current Affairs ]
About Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid innovative, politician and promoter. He was President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. UN General Assembly (UNGA) Establish Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize in June 2014.
- It was established in honor to former South African President Nelson Mandela for his extraordinary life and compromises for Country.
- This award was established for them who have dedicated their life for the service of humanity and social unity.
About Jorge Sampaio:
- Jorge Fernando Branco de Sampaio , born on 18 September 1939 in Lisbon.
- He is a Portuguese lawyer and politician.
- He was the 18th President of Portugal from 1996 to 2006.
- He starts his political career as college student of the Faculty of Law in the University of Lisbon.
- In 1995, he won the election of 14 January 1996 in the first round against Anbal Cavaco Silva (former prime-minister) and became president on 9 March 1996. After that he was re-elected as President on 14 January 2001.
About Helena Ndume:
- Helena Ndume was born in Tsumeb, Oshikoto Region. She studied medicine in Germany.
- Dr. Helena Ndume is a Namibian ophthalmologist. She is very helpful for the people who sufferers of eye-related illnesses.
- Dr. Ndume has secured near about 30,000 blind Namibians eye surgery and fitted with intra-ocular lens implants free of charge.
- She is currently the head of the Ophthalmology department at Windhoek Central Hospital, Namibia’s largest hospital, and is one of only six Namibian ophthalmologists.
- Jorge Sampaio and Helena Ndume received award of the inaugural Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize.
- This award was part of the annual memorial of Nelson Mandela International Day which observed every year on 18 July.
- Published on: July 29, 2015