Kerala Government declares Kerala state as ‘Digital State’ [ Current Affairs ]
About Kerala: Kerala is also known as Keralam historical. It is south - west state of India. It was created on 1st November 1956 following the States Recognisation Act. Kerala is the thirteenth largest state by population. It is divided by 14 districts and its capital is Thiruvananthapuram.
- Malayalam is the most widely spoken and official language of Kerala.
About the declaration as ‘Digital State’:
- Kerala Government has declared state totally digital, thus becoming first state in the country to achieve it.
- A digital city is called when it uses digital technologies or information and communication technologies (ICT) to improve quality and performance of urban services and also to reduce costs and resource consumption and to involve more effectively and actively with its citizens.
- This announcement was made by Chief Minister of Kerala Oommen Chandy during his Independence Day speech held in Thiruvananthapuram.
- This declaration was made considering the rapid digital strides of the state which has achieved 100 percent mobile connectivity, maximum digital banking, 75 percent e - literacy, broadband connectivity upto the Panchayat level, linking bank accounts with Aadhar cards and e - district plan in all districts.
- Published on: August 18, 2015