Legendary Egyptian actor Omar Sharif passed away on 10 July 2015 [ Current Affairs ]
Egyptian actor Omar Sharif passed away due to a heart attack in Cairo at the age of 83. Omar Sharif was best known for his roles in classic films Lawrence of Arabia in1962 and Doctor Zhivago role in 1965.
- These movies had soared him international stardom. Omar Sharif appeared in Lawrence of Arabia as Sherif Ali which was directed by David Lean in 1962.
- Omar Sharif was born on 10 April 1932 in Alexandria, Egypt to a to a Melkite Greek Catholic family. His childhood name was Michel Shalhoub.
- Omar Sharif had studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA). Omar Sharif made his screen debut in the 1954 for an Egyptian film named Siraa Fil-Wadi (The Blazing Sun). At present, Omar Sharif had appeared in more than 70 films and multiple television series.
- Omar Sharif converted to Islam and changed his name to Omar al-Sharif in 1955. The same year he married acclaimed Egyptian actress Faten Hamama but he divorced in 1974.
- Omar Sharif was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2015. Omar Sharif had won three Golden Globe Awards in 1962, 1963 and 1965.
- He also received Csar Award (French equivalent of the Oscar) in 2004 and he was nominated for an Academy Award. UNESCO’s Sergei Eisenstein Medal (2005) for his significant contributions to world film and cultural diversity.
- Published on: July 14, 2015