Maharashtra declares drought-like condition in 14,708 villages [ Current Affairs ]
The Maharashtra Government has confirmed drought - like condition in 14, 708 villages. This means the drought has affected 34 % of the state and these villages have received insufficient rainfall in rainy season season 2015 which lead to a decrease in Kharif production.
- The drought like condition was declared by a state Cabinet Sub - Committee directed by State Agriculture Minister Eknath Khadse in Mumbai.
- For relief, the committee has decided to not take college and school fees of students living in these villages.
- Electricity bills of farmers using agricultural pumps also has been financed by one third of the total amount.
- This is the second continuous year Maharashtra has experienced drought like situation in the state.
- Actually, the state has experienced three such natural tragedies in the last four years.
- Region wise Drought conditions Marathwada region: It has been worst - hit with a drought - like condition as it has been declared in every single village of this central region.
- Around 8, 522 villages in the region have been effected due to this natural calamity and accounts for 58 % of the drought area in the state.
- North Maharashtra region: It includes Nashik and Jalgaon districts of state.
- In this region follows 4, 869 villages impacted and accounts for 33 % of the drought area.
- Konkan region: It has not a single village affected by the calamity and has region experienced a plentiful monsoon this year.
- Published on: October 19, 2015