Mary Kom to quit boxing after 2016 Rio Olympics [ Current Affairs ]
Indian Olympic medalist MC Mary Kom (Mangte Chungneijang) has announced to quit boxing after 2016 Rio Olympics. She was only 32-year-old when he won a bronze medal in 2012 London Olympics.
- She has born on 1 March 1983 in Manipur and her full name is Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom which is belonging to Kom tribal community of the north-eastern state of Manipur.
- MC Mary Kom is five- time World Boxing champion and she is only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the six world championships.
- In 2014 of Indian history, she became the first Indian woman boxer to get a Gold Medal in the Asian Games.
Some awards and honors -
- She received Padma Bhushan for Sports in 2013.
- She received Padma Shree for Sports in 2010.
- She was honoured with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2009.
- She received Arjuna Award for Boxing in 2003.
- Published on: March 2, 2015