NGT India to chair 9th International Renewable Energy Agency council [ Current Affairs ]
India is going to chair the 9th International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) council meeting to be held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE). The ninth IRENA council is started from 10 June 2015 and will be a two day event and in this meeting 21 member nations of IRENA council are participated.
- In meeting of council, IRENA will guide the agency’s future programmes and activities and IRENA Council is main governing body.
- IRENA is responsible for implementing various decisions of assembly and it is an intergovernmental organization which to promote adoption and sustainable use of renewable energy.
- IRENA was established in 2009 and it is the global hub for renewable energy cooperation and information exchange within its member nations.
- Headquarters of IRENA is Abu Dhabi and it has two governing structure. They include IRENA Assembly which takes decisions at macro level and gives policy guidance.
- Total members of IRENA has 140 Members and India is one of the 33 Permanent and founder members of IRENA.
- Published on: April 13, 2015