Narendra Modi Vocalist Sanjay Subrahmanyam selected for ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’ award 2015 [ Current Affairs ]
A South Indian classical vocalist, Sanjay Subrahmanyam has been selected for the ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’ award 2015. It will be bestowed upon him when he will preside over the 89th annual conference of the Academy which will be held between December 15, 2015 and January 1, 2016.
- Sanjay Subrahmanyam is 7th artistes to be conferred with the award before completing 50 years of age. Others are Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Musiri Subramania Iyer, G.N. Balasubramaniam, M.L. Vasanthakumari and M. Balamuralikrishna, Semmangudi R. Srinivasa Iyer.
- In 1987, Sanjay Subrahmanyam had started performing Carnatic music. Earlier he was Charted Accountant but in 2000 became full-time musician.
- Sanjay Subrahmanyam received many awards and honours- Gaana Padhmam (2013), Vani Kala Sudhakara (2010) and the title Kalaimamani by Tamil Nadu Government (2006) etc.
- Sangita Kalanidhi award is considered one of the highest awards in Carnatic music. Sangita Kalanidhi award is a prestigious award bestowed annually upon an expert of Carnatic Music by the Madras Music Academy.
- The award’s name has been derived from Sanskrit which means treasure of Music and art in English.
- Published on: June 24, 2015