New Zealand wins 24th Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament [ Current Affairs ]
New Zealand has won the 24th edition of Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament 2015 and in the final match New Zealand defeated World Champions Australia by 3-1 goals in the penalty shoot-out. New Zealand won second time Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament. Earlier, New Zealand had won the Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament in 2012.
- It is third time Australia came as runner-ups position in tournament in the third time. Earlier, Australia came as runner-ups position in 1999, 2006 and 2015.
- India won the bronze with finished third position and it was defeating by South Korea by 4-1 goals in the penalty shoot-out after both the teams were tied at 2-2 at regulation time.
- Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament was established in 1983 and it is an annual tournament held in Malaysia.
- In 1998, initially called as biennial tournament but it is played every year and named after 9th king of Malaysia and ‘Father of Malaysian Hockey’ Sultan Azlan Shah.
- Australia has won the tournament for record 8 times in 1983, 1996, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2013 and 2014.
- Published on: April 14, 2015