Pioneer of Israeli cinema Lia van Leer passes away [ Current Affairs ]
Lia van Leer was a pioneer of Israeli cinema who passed away in the age of 90 in Jerusalem on 13 March 2015. Lia van Leer was the founder of Israel Film Archive, Jerusalem Cinematheque, Haifa Cinematheque and the Jerusalem Film Festival.
- She was born on August 8, 1924 in Romania but she completed studied at Hebrew University in Israel.
- In 1950s, she along with her husband had founded Israel’s first cinema club.
- She had created the Jerusalem Cinematheque in 1973 and in 1983 she started the Jerusalem Film Festival.
- Lia van Leer was the head of the jury at the 45th Berlin International Film Festival in 1995.
- Lia van Leer was awarded the Israel Prize for her special contribution & lifetime achievement to society and the State of Israel in 2004.
- In 2014, Lia van also has been awarded with President’s Medal (also called Medal of Distinction of Israel).
- Published on: March 17, 2015