Pranab Mukherjee is the 1st Indian President to address Israeli Parliament Knesset [ Current Affairs ]
Pranab Mukherjeebecame first Indian President to address Israeli Parliament Knesset. Pranab Mukherjee addressed the Knesset as last leg of his authorized visit to 3 countries of west Asia viz. Jordan, Palestine and Israel. He is also the first Indian President to make a state visit Israel.
His address to Knesset:
- India’s policy was to build a strong, mutually beneficial and functional relationship with Israel and thus, he himself went to visit and address Knesset.
- There is no other option to resolve conflicts other than negotiation anf thus both thew countries agreed.
- There was a peaceful settlement as a long term measure.
- It Condemned all forms of violence and India always sought a peaceful resolution of disputes.
- Both countries also signed agreements on double taxation avoidance, cultural exchange and academic fields.
About Pranab Mukherjee:
- Pranab was born in a Bengali Brahmin family on 11 December 1935 and is the current president of india
- He was a high - ranking leader of the Indian National Congress and occupied several ministerial portfolios in the Government of India.
- His political career began in 1969.
- Mukherjee became a Gandhi supporter, and is regularly described as “man for all seasons”.
- He was elected as Defense Minister, Foreign Minister, Commerce Minister, Finance Minister and secured many other positions as well.
- Published on: October 16, 2015