Punjab becomes first state to issue Soil Health Cards to farmers [ Current Affairs ]
State government of Punjab declared that Punjab has become the first state in India to issue Soil Health Cards (SHCs), a Union Government initiative to all farmers in the state. At present, state government of Punjab has 66 such laboratories and has capability to test 3.5 lakh soil samples annually. State government also has made mandatory for these labs to check soil health on quarterly basis.
- Soil Health Cards (SHCs) will help farmers in maintaining the balanced health structure of the soil and educate them to use right quantity of fertilizers in order to prevent soil from becoming arid.
- Soil Health Card (SHC) Scheme contains all basic and crop-wise recommendations of fertilizers or nutrients required for farms of different soil types.
- In this regard, every district of state has been assigned mobile soil testing lab. These labs will take soil sample from every farm and issue a digitalized soil health details.
- In February 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had formally launched the nationwide ‘Soil Health Card’ Scheme in Suratgarh, Rajasthan.
- Importance of SHC in Punjab- The advent of green revolution in Punjab has made soil testing more necessary in view of over exploitation of soil.
- Published on: May 18, 2015