RC Tayal appointed as new DG of National Security Guard [ Current Affairs ]
Union Home Ministry Rajnath singh has appointed Senior IPS Officer RC Tayal as the new Director General (DG) of India’s elite counter-terror force National Security Guard (NSG). RC Tayal replaced JN Choudhury who had retired on 31 May 2015. RC Tayal will have appointed till August 2016.
- At present, RC Tayal is serving as the Special Director General (DG) in paramilitary CRPF and is heading its formation in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Mr. Tayal is a 1980-batch Assam-Meghalaya cadre IPS officer. Earlier, Mr. Tayal had served as an Additional DG in the Sashastra Seema Bal.
- National Security Guard (NSG) was set up in 1984 as a Federal Contingency Deployment Force to tackle all facets of terrorism in the country.
- NSG also nodal agency for counter-terror and counter-hijack operations and later was tasked to protect high-risk VVIPs. The NSG members are also known as Black Cats because of the black drill cotton coveralls and balaclavas or helmets they wear.
- National Security Guard (NSG) operates under the oversight of the Ministry of Home Affairs and is headed by the Director General of the Indian Police Service (IPS).
- Motto of NSG is Sarvatra Sarvottam Surakhsha in Hindi and in English, Omnipresent Omnipotent Defence.
- Published on: June 10, 2015