Raghavendra Gadagkar received the Cross of Order of the Merit Award of Germany [ Current Affairs ]
About Raghavendra Gadagkar: Raghavendra Gadagkar works as a professor at the Centre for Ecological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore, India. He studies evolution of social behaviour by using eusocial insects using Ropalidia marginata, a locally common wasp as a model.
- He is currently the President at the Indian National Science Academy.
- He has published over 275 scientific papers and articles in various international journals and also in Indian journals like Current Science magazine and the Journal of Biosciences of India which are published from Bangalore.
- His most important contribution to the field of evolution of eusociality is the theory of “assured fitness returns” which has been verified from practical data.
- He received the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in Biological science in 1993.
About receiving of Cross of Order of Merit award:
- He received highest civilian award Cross of Order of the Merit of Germany.
- He received this award because of his unforgettable contribution in science research.
About Cross of Order of the Merit award:
- It was established in 1951 by the first President of Germany Theodor Heuss.
- It is considered as highest civilian award of Germany which is awarded to Germans as well as to non - nationals.
- It should give to the person who achieves outstanding achievements in the fields of political, cultural, economy, intellectual and volunteering.
- Published on: August 11, 2015