Raghuram Rajan, RBI Governor appointed as Vice Chairman of BIS [ Current Affairs ]
Raghuram Govind Rajan was born on 3rd February 1963. He is the current and the 23rd Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. He also served in India’s central banking institution on 5th September 2013. He was chief economic adviser to India’s Ministry of Finance during year 2014 and chief economist at the International Monetary Fund from 2003 to 2007.
About his achievements:
- Fischer Black Prize: It was awarded by the American Finance Association for contributions to the theory and practice of finance by an economist under age 40 in 2003.
- Fifth Deutsche Bank Prize: It was given for Financial Economics 2013 on 26th September 2013 for his “ground - breaking research work which inclined financial and macro - economic policies around the world”.
- The Best Central Bank Governor award: It was given in 2014 by Euro money Magazine.
- He was also conferred with the prestigious Governor of the Year Award of 2014 from London - based financial journal Central Banking.
About his appointment as CMD:
- Raghuram Rajan has been appointed as vice chairman of the board of directors of the Bank for International Settlements (BIS).
- He became the first Indian to be appointed to this position in the BIS.
- He has been appointed with the contract of three years starting from 10th November 2015.
- His responsibility will be to assist BIS Chairman Jens Weidmann, who is also president of Germany’s Bundesbank.
- Published on: November 23, 2015